Friday, February 17, 2012

Food for thought


If proverbs are food for the soul, than I am starving.

... And I believe they are. :)


Here are a few that caught my eye as I read proverbs before bed.

They are ones I am particularly bad at putting into practice and want to reflect on often, more and more. Of course it's the practicing and not preaching that matters. And, boy, I could use prayer each day for all of these and to do all of what God wants, to just simply love Him and others first.





... I think all of these are beautiful. Reading the Word is truly my favorite part of the day, an incredible blessing to read about His love and heart. And to read how I can love and thank Him and others more.

God is good. ... A God of compassion, grace, and peace.







"Watch your words and hold your tongue;
you'll save yourself a lot of grief."
*Proverbs 21:23






"Sinners are always wanting what they don't have;
the God-loyal are always giving what they do have."
*Proverbs 21:26





"If you fall to pieces in a crisis,
there wasn't much to you in the first place."
*Proverbs 24:10







"You're addicted to thrills? What an empty life!

The pursuit of pleasure is never satisfied."
*Proverbs 21:17





"If you stop your ears to the cries of the poor,
your cries will go unheard, unanswered."
*Proverbs 21:13







"Whoever goes hunting for what is right and kind finds life itself---
glorious life!"
*Proverbs 21:21






"Dear child, I want your full attention;
please do what I show you."
*Proverbs 23:26





"Simpletons only learn the hard way,
but the wise learn by listening."
*Proverbs 21:11






"Mixed motives twist life into tangles;

pure motives take you straight down the road."
*Proverbs 21:8






"Careful planning puts you ahead in the long run;

hurry scurry puts you further behind."
*Proverbs 21:5






"Do not eat the food of a stingy man,
do not crave his delicacies;
for he is the kind of man
who is always thinking about the cost.
'Eat and drink,' he says to you,
but his heart is not with you.
You will vomit up the little you have eaten
and will have wasted your compliments."
-Proverbs 23:6-8
(I can be very very stingy, so this caught my eye )




"The wicked get buried alive by their loot

because they refuse to use it to help others."
*Proverbs 21:7







"Clean living before God and justice with our neighbors

mean far more to GOD than religious performance."
*Proverbs 21:3






"Dear child, if you become wise,
I'll be one happy Parent.
My heart will dance and sing
to the tunefull truth you'll speak."
*Proverbs 23:15-16



"We justify our actions by appearances;

GOD examines our motives."
*Proverbs 21:2









"Humility and the fear of the LORD
bring wealth and honor and life."
-Proverbs 22:4








"Do your best, prepare for the worst---
then trust GOD to bring victory."
*Proverbs 21:31





*I was reading from "The Message" Bible just for fun, so most of these came out of that translation. I've also been comparing them to the NIV and other versions as I read. It's fun and interesting.
-I also put a few from the NIV Bible translation.

No comments:

Post a Comment